Drone FAQs

Drone Insurance Frequently Asked Questions

Get fast answers to your drone insurance questions below. This information is a summary of the insurance afforded. For complete details, please review the policy and endorsements.

Who can get insurance?

Any UAS owner / operator whose primary business address is located in the United States. If you are a manufacturer, user of drone services or have other insurance needs for UAS, please contact your current producer or Global Aerospace for further information on the most appropriate insurance products. Similarly, if your drone fleet exceeds 10 systems, please contact your producer. While coverage is available through this program, you may find a more streamlined approach to meet your needs.

Who do I contact with any questions?

You are applying for this insurance via a licensed producer. An aviation insurance specialist at GLOBAL AEROSPACE INC will be happy to discuss any questions regarding your policy.

Contact GLOBAL AEROSPACE INC for more info:

Can I get insurance directly through this system?

Yes, you will be presented with a variety of quotes immediately, subject to underwriting. Once you accept one of the quotes, you can immediately purchase the coverage.

What if I just fly for fun?

That is fine but you will be required to confirm you have a Remote Pilot Airman Certificate.

What is covered under the policy?

The policy has options to cover accidental loss of or damage to the scheduled drones, legal liability arising out of their ownership, maintenance or use as well as a number of policy benefits. Please see the policy for full details.

What does accidental loss or damage actually cover?

This section covers your legal liability for causing third party bodily injury (physical injury) and property damage. Please see the full policy for details.

What is insured as part of the legal liability?

This section covers your legal liability for causing third party bodily injury (physical injury) and property damage. Please see the full policy for details.

What are the coverage endorsements and policy benefits?

In addition to legal liability and physical damage coverage, the standard policy includes:

  • Personal and Advertising Injury – includes violation of privacy liability*
  • Medical Expenses
  • War and other perils
  • Liability for sale of scheduled aircraft
  • Broad Premises liability coverage
  • Fire legal Liability
  • Expanded contractual liability
  • Charter agreement liability
  • Supplementary payments including the cost of certain bail bonds
  • Liability arising out of a UAS that is not owned

Optional insurance includes:

  • Payload physical damage (cameras and most other external payloads)
  • Ground Equipment physical damage (controllers, launchers etc.)
  • Spare parts physical damage
  • Liability for damage to UASs that you do not own, including accidental damage to rental or temporary payload items
  • Increased limits for Personal and Advertising Injury

*subject to underwriting.

Do I have to pay the full premium amount upfront, or are there installment options?

The portal provides for payment using a credit card or PayPal account for the full amount of premium. Your broker may be able to provide a financing arrangement at additional cost if you are seeking an installment payment method.

When is the earliest I can set up the policy?

The policy can be set up the same day payment is accepted through either the online payment system, or by submitting funds to your broker.

Can changes be made to pilots or coverage types on my policy?

Yes, changes can be made to your policy by contacting the broker.

I applied through more than one broker and received the same quote twice, is this correct?

Yes, we provide the same quote regardless of how many brokers apply on your behalf.

I applied but was told that I already have a policy. What should I do?

Please contact your existing broker. If you have another policy with Global Aerospace (other than a light aircraft policy) this will show up in our system and you will be prevented from getting a quote from another broker.

Who is Global Aerospace?

Global Aerospace is a leading provider of aerospace insurance with a worldwide portfolio of clients who are engaged in every aspect of the aviation and space industries. Headquartered in London, we have offices in Canada, Cologne, Paris, Zurich, and throughout the United States. With experience dating back to the 1920s, the company’s underwriting is backed by a pool of high quality insurance companies representing some of the most respected names in the business. For additional information about Global Aerospace, please visit www.global-aero.com.

What happens if I need to make a claim or if a claim is made against me?

For information about submitting a claim and our claims service please click here.

I need a certificate for a job/contract/project I am doing. How do I get one?

At the time your policy is bound, we will send you a certificate outlining the coverage afforded by your policy. You will be able to use it for any job you perform. If you need a specific certificate, then contact your producer who will be able to assist. Please always allow at least one business day.

Do certificates/additional insureds cost additional premium?

There is no additional charge for certificates. If you require different coverage options or higher limits than what you currently have on a policy, there may be additional premium charges.

Does Global Aerospace provide safety management support? What is it?

Global Aerospace is committed to helping all aviators operate as safely as possible. At the time of binding your policy, you will automatically receive a copy of an “Expanded Flight Checklist” document that has been produced exclusively for Global Aerospace insureds by Dart Drones. You will receive an “Introductory Guide to UAS Emergency Response” and a “Best Practice Guide to Prevent Claims of Violation of Privacy”.

In addition, you will qualify for a 20% discount of all services provided by DARTdrones. For further details, please visit sm4.global-aero.com.

Is there a limit on the operators I can have on my policy?

No. The policy allows for any person approved by the Named Insured (you) who is appropriately qualified. In the case of commercial operations in the USA, this would require a small UAS certificate.

What qualifies as payload?

Payload means equipment that is capable of enhancing the utility of the aircraft component of an unmanned aircraft system on which it may or may not be installed, the value of which is to be treated separately from that of a scheduled aircraft and not included in the insured value thereof. However, payload shall not include dispensable loads.

What qualifies as ground equipment?

Non-aircraft components of an unmanned aircraft system. Examples: controllers, drone cases, etc.

Is theft covered in the event my drone gets stolen?

Subject to the terms of the policy, yes.

RPAC, what does it stand for?

Remote pilot airman’s certificate with small UAS rating. Please refer FAA Part 107.

Can I increase my coverage limits?

Yes, you can do so by contacting your producer.

Is there a minimum limit required by Global Aerospace?

$500,000 is the minimum liability limit available.

What if I want to insure more than one drone or insure payload or ground equipment?

Simply follow the application process. You will be prompted when to add more aircraft units as well as payload and ground equipment items.

I received a message that my application requires “further review”, what does this mean?

Some applications require further underwriting review for a variety of reasons that are mostly routine. Your producer will contact you shortly to discuss your application and review your options.

Who is an “insured” under my policy?

The Policyholder is always an Insured. Certain other persons while using the aircraft with the permission of the Policyholder and certain other persons who face legal liability because of acts or omissions of the Policyholder also receive Insured status.

Are there any geographical restrictions?

No, the policy territory is worldwide but you should inform your producer if you intend to operate for long periods outside the US.

What if I injure myself or a colleague?

The policy affords coverage for your legal liability, and therefore does not respond if you injure yourself. If your liability for injury to a colleague is not otherwise restricted (by workers compensation or employment laws, for example), the policy may respond to your colleague’s claim depending on the specific facts of the occurrence.